Friday, March 17, 2017

Day 3, 3/17

Pain in the morning: 0
Pain in the evening: 0

Took the ace bandage off first thing this morning to take another look at it. It was very swollen with fluid and such, which explains the unstable/loose feeling I get while walking on it (thank goodness for crutches). I've heard once the swelling goes down though it starts to feel more stable, so I am not too worried about it.
Without the bandage

Side view of swelling- not painful though
Had my first physical therapy session today, 3 days post op. I'll be going twice a week for a few months, and then possibly decrease to once a week. The first 'exercise' we did was simple, he just moved my knee cap around. I was so very cautious and nervous of him touching it, he even laughed a little and said 'protective much?' 😛

We then worked on moving the vastus medialis, or the inside quad muscle. I could move it a little it felt like, but I couldn't really tell (although he could!). After a few other exercises, we ended with towel ROM bends. This was the first time bending my knee post op and I was so cautious, I asked him "are you sure?" atleast three times before. I obviously have never done physical therapy before... here I am asking the therapist if he knows what he is doing. Ha 😅  I know I just need to build some trust! I was able to bend it passively (with help from the towel) to 45 degrees. I could feel it pulling the skin on the top of my knee, but he assured it was ok to feel that. 

Towel bends!
Overall, I'm so very excited to start working on getting my strength back and walking normal again. I'm going to be cautious on just how much I do, but you can bet I'm not just going to lay here and do nothing!



More elevate and ice. I also put my right compression sock back on for a bit


No comments:

Post a Comment